Sunday, December 22, 2013

Official Cyberspace Completion

Pretty much finished the first official Cyberspace painting!  I just need to sand the sides, re-gesso and apply a shiny translucent finish.  I will have better pictures soon.  The complete quadtych will be part of a series in a group show at the University of Wisconsin.  More info on that soon!  

Where are the boundaries between subjects?

I am weightless in a web of invisible threads.  I pluck one and watch tender reverberations create thin reflections that spider deep into the darkness.  From this vantage point, I can only see a part of the structure's infinite complexity.  There is neither here nor there, only a spatial median that divides deeper into relative parts.  Like the trapeze artist, I hold my breath and attempt to climb atop one of these threads.  I stand straight, trying to become objective within this innumerable prismatic organism.  One step forward, and the thread flexes beneath newfound gravity!  My spine curves against the forces of instability and I see radical shifts of light play off multiple contradicting planes.  A colossal geode surrounds me: it is the image of relativism - a place where coordinates are lost in the game of snakes and ladders.  ~Z

---

Donna Haraway: 

Figurations are performative images that can be inhabited.  Verbal or visual, figurations can be condensed maps or contestable worlds.  All language... is figurative, that is, made of tropes, constituted by bumps that make us swerve from literal-mindedness.  I emphasize figuration to make explicit and inescapable the tropic quality of all material-semiotic processes, especially in technoscience. 

In a conversation with Thyrza Nichols Goodeve, Haraway returns repeatedly to her use of figuration, and to the tropic - to the folding of the figural and the literal, 'the join between materiality and semiosis' or the ways in which the 'literal and the figurative, the factual and the narrative, the scientific and religious and the literary, are all imploded'...

Thank you, David Bell!














(Yayart!)

No comments:

Post a Comment