Monday, December 3, 2018

Thank you, Beto!

U.S. Representative Beto O'Rourke with "The Rosette of Hope"

Dear Beto,

I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for running an incredible Senate campaign and representing the best of Texas.  Your profound integrity, empathy, and commitment to the people of Texas inspired me to get involved in supporting progressive political change.  

During the campaign, I helped host a Beers for Beto fundraiser that coincided with the opening of my art exhibition titled “The Allegory of Good and Bad Government” at Camiba Art Gallery in Austin.  This series of hexagonal prints are arranged as diptychs in which the virtues and vices of government, expressed as elaborate geometric symbols, prompt the viewer to compare idealisms between the work and their own political reality.

Reflecting on these works, I felt that the Beto campaign was a beacon of hope for good government in the face of fascism.  Regardless of wins or losses, I believe this campaign serves as a model for what the rest of the nation can accomplish when Democrats show up and stay true to their convictions of equal opportunity and democracy.  That is why I want you to have “The Rosette of Hope”.  No matter what happens next, may this hope continue to resonate and guide all of us into a better and more representative future.    

For Democracy,

Zoe Shulman

No comments:

Post a Comment